THE KEF REFERENCE 3
For over 40 years KEF’s flagship range has been distinguished by the name ‘Reference’ – an exercise in high quality engineering brought bang up-to-date for 2014 with the launch of five new Reference class loudspeakers. Available in Piano Black, Satin American Walnut and Luxury Gloss Rosewood finishes, the KEF Reference 3 has the same DNA as the Reference 5 with more modest dimensions – and the same uncanny ability to generate an intricate, totally natural-sounding 3D soundstage.
The two 165mm (6.5 inch) bass drivers are positioned perfectly above and below KEF’s latest 125mm (5 inch) MF/HF Uni-Q driver array in a D’Appolito configuration. Fidelity across the midrange and treble is outstanding, and the transitions imperceptible. And with Uni-Q’s broad inclusive dispersion, everyone in the room can enjoy the same rich, spatially precise acoustic imagery without being restricted to a narrow sweet spot. As well as putting you right at the heart of the original performance, it gives you the soul.
The Reference Reference 3’s distinctive front baffle is made from laminated aluminium and resin composite which is formed in extreme temperature and pressure to add rigidity to the cabinet structure and providing acoustic damping.
•Superb new iteration of KEF’s Uni-Q ‘point source’ driver array
•Brand new bass driver with large vented magnet assembly, and exceptionally light and rigid aluminum cone
•Distinctive and extremely rigid new baffle made from laminated aluminium and resin composite
•Innovative new port technology
The company was founded in 1961 by Raymond Cooke OBE (1925–1995) and was initially headquartered in a Nissen Hut on the premises of Kent Engineering & Foundry (from where the name KEF is derived) – a metal-working company on the banks of the River Medway, near Maidstone in Kent. KEF’s ethos has always been based on the continuing quest to find new and better ways of reproducing sound. Since the company’s establishment, KEF has maintained a flair for unusual and controversial speaker engineering, design and material use. KEF has always driven innovation in sound with examples including its iconic ‘egg’, Muon and Blade speakers. KEF is a member of Gold Peak Group and its products are available in more than 60 countries. In 2011, KEF celebrated its 50th anniversary and now the company continues its commitment to building on its strong heritage.
KEF Reference 3
- Design Three-way Bass Reflex
- Drive units Uni-Q driver array:
- HF: 25mm (1in.) vented aluminium dome
- MF: 125mm (5in.) aluminium
- Bass units LF: 2 x165mm (6.5in.) aluminium
- Frequency range free field (-6dB) Short port: 38Hz – 45kHz
- Long port: 35Hz – 45kHz
- Frequency range typical in room bass response (-6dB) 28Hz
- Frequency response (±3dB) 43Hz – 35kHz
- Crossover frequency 350Hz, 2.8kHz
- Amplifier requirements 50-300W
- Sensitivity (2.83V/ 1m) 87.5dB
- Harmonic distortion 2nd & 3rd harmonics (90dB, 1m) <0.5% 40Hz – 100kHz, <0.2% 200Hz – 10kHz
- Maximum output (peak sound pressure level at 1m with pink noise) 113.5 dB
- Impedance 8Ω (min. 3.2Ω)
- Weight 51.3kg (113.1 lbs.)
- Dimensions (H x W x D) (with grille and terminal) 1155 x 205 x 470 mm, (45.5 x 8.1 x 18.5 in.)
- Dimension (H x W x D) (with grille, terminal & plinth) 1202 x 349 x 470 mm, (47.3 x 13.7 x 18.5 in.)
- Finishes Deep Piano Black, Satin American Walnut, Luxury Gloss Rosewood, Blue Ice White, Copper Black Aluminium