Lumin U1 Music Transport – An S1 without the DAC
Testimonials (on all Lumin products)
Product of the Year Award – The Absolute Sound (Upper End Music Server of the year)
“Had I not known better, I would have sworn I was listening to mastertapes. It was an impression of resolution, soundstage integrity, and clean transient speed… reaching a level of musicality that will make even diehard analog fans forget its computer roots.”
– Neil Gader, The Absolute Sound, (read the review)
“The network player by which all others should be judged… the most polished network player I’ve ever used.”
– Computer Audiophile (read the review)
Six Moons “Blue Moon” Award
“To me the S1 is one of the most attractive one-box digital contenders I’ve had opportunity to hear. Perhaps the greatest strength of the S1 resides in a kind of sonic and functional coherence that I do not find with potential competitors… The LUMIN S1 to my ears combines the rare ability of sounding pristine, precise, warm and rhythmically involving all at once… The LUMIN S1 delivers an enormously appealing and involving musical presentation which will become my new reference as a still-affordable digital front-end to consequently demand a Blue Moon award.
– Joël Chevassus, SixMoons.com, (read the review)
“The more time you spend with the LUMIN, the more it becomes clear that the strong performance with a wide variety of material, the extremely well thought out app, and the very handsome appearance combine to make the LUMIN a very enticing buy and one that should work well in a variety of systems.”
– Ed Selly, Hi-Fi+
“Its sound is crisp, clear and detailed with an engaging sense of timing that draws the best from the music …the app is one of the best out there on any streamer I’ve used so far.”
– Jon Myles, Hi-Fi World March
“Each recording was so absorbing, that I did not want to interrupt any album I listened to from beginning to end …This is the most analogue digital player I have ever listened to”
– Audio Stereo (read the review)
“…in my opinion it stands up to all comers. I spent many hours listening to the Lumin and every time found my toes tapping. I’ve played the saxophone for over 30 years and at the end of my listening sessions, I found the Lumin sounded more like music and less like computer!”
– Mike Bovaird, Founder, Audio Shark Forums
– PCM 44.1–384kHz 16–32bit
– Effortlessly plays everything from DSD through high-res PCM to mainstream formats FLAC, Apple Lossless, MP3 and Internet radio streams.
– Gapless Playback, On-Device Playlists and robust music buffering provide a superior playback experience, free from distractions.
– Supports TIDAL and Internet Radio, and UPnP AV for maximum compatibility.
– The highest-grade matching components, circuit design and spacious layout include true balanced audio outputs and an external toroidal power supply.
-A superbly natural, attractive and uniquely designed iPad app makes music browsing and selection a pleasure for everyone.
DSD Support: Up to DSD128 5.6MHz, 1-bit
Upsampling and downsampling rates & bit depths: Upsampling and downsampling to and from any supported rate including DSD128 and 384kHz PCM
DIGITAL Outputs: 2x USB: DSD128, 5.6MHz, 1bit, Stereo, PCM 44.1khz–384kHz, 16–32bit
Optical, Coaxial RCA, Coaxial BNC & AES/EBU:
DSD (DoP, DS D over PCM) 2.8MHz, 1bit
PCM 44.1kHz–192kHz, 16–24bit
Power Supply: External dual-toroidal, available in 240V and 110V versions
Lumin (solid aluminium chassis): 350mm (W), 345mm (D), 60mm (H), 8kg
Dual-toroidal PSU: 100mm (W), 315mm (D), 55mm (H), 2kg
Finishes: Raw brushed aluminium or Black anodized aluminium.
Specifications for all LUMIN Music Players
- Streaming Protocol: UPnP AV protocol with audio streaming extension
- Gapless Playback
- On-Device Playlist
- Supported Audio File Formats: DSD Lossless: DSF (DSD), DIFF (DSD), DoP (DSD), PCM Lossless: FLAC, Apple Lossless (ALAC), WAV, AIFF, Compressed (lossy) Audio: MP3, AAC (in M4A container)
- Supported Audio Sample Rates, Bit Depths, Number of Channels: PCM, 44.1kHz – 384kHz, 16 – 32bit, Stereo, DSD, 2.8MHz, 1bit, Stereo (5.6MHz on LUMIN S1)
- Upsampling rates & bit depths: DSD upsampling option for all files up to 96kHz
- Supported Control Devices: All models of Apple iPad (v2 or later). iOS 5.0 or later required.
- Full Retina Display support.
- App Features: High-resolution artwork. Artwork caching. AirPlay compatibility. Multiple-tag handling. ‘Composer’ tag support. Find & Filter. Tag browsing.
- Input: Ethernet Network 100Base-T, USB storage, flash drive, USB hard disk (Single-partition FAT32, NTFS and EXT2/3 only)
- Outputs:Analog Audio: XLR balanced, 4Vrms, pin 2 Hot, RCA unbalanced, 2Vrms
- Digital Audio: BNC SPDIF:
- PCM 44.1kHz-192kHz, 16-24bit
- DSD (DoP, DSD over PCM) 2.8MHz, 1bit
- HDMI: PCM 44.1kHz-192kHz, 16-24bit, DSD (Native or DoP) 2.8MHz, 1bit
- Other: Firmware-upgradable for further features and enhancements