Cosmos in Cherry wood finish w/ matching PSU/Vacuum unit
No turntable brand has been more consistent over so many years in delivering high performance and fun with rock solid reliability and ease of use. There may be dozens of new tables introduced in recent years, and we carry many of the best, but none outshine the Sota Cosmos Series IV Turntable for bottom to top performance and compelling enjoyment.
– Jay, Audio Revelation
Golden Ear Award & Editor’s Choice, The Absolute Sound
“… rich and smooth as a brulee”
– Absolute Sound Best Choice, 2009 Buyers Guide
“This classic turntable boasts superior tonal neutrality, soundstaging, background silence and isolation”
– 2008 Editor’s Choice Award, The Absolute Sound, Issue #185
“After two years enjoying a Stabi Reference ($8000), it was quickly apparent that the Sota Cosmos Series IV Turntable ($6600) is sonically superior and closes the gap with the sound of live music. … this new Cosmos is technically refined, beautiful to see and use, and performs spectacularly. I don’t plan to make the same mistake again by selling my Sota. This one may be the last turntable I own.”
– Jerry Seigel, 10audio10/10 LPs
Cosmos Series III …”its equal cost over twice to multiples its base price…while I know of none…its superior.”
“My new Series III Cosmos threw a cavernous stage that was evenly illuminated from front to back and from side to side. The oiled-rosewood cabinet was eye-poppingly gorgeous, with a rich, vivid, high-contrast grain and painstakingly crafted corner joints.”
SOTA Cosmos Series IV Turntable
The Sota COSMOS Series IV Turntable represents the ultimate expression of SOTA’s acclaimed turntable engineering featuring the ultimate in suspension isolation and vacuum coupling. The Cosmos represents the most comprehensive, scientific approach to identifying the universal variables that undermine pure signal retrieval and overcoming these to achieve a state of near perfection.
The Sota COSMOS Series IV Turntable takes ultimate rigidity/mass damping in sub-assembly, arm mounting, motor coupling and bearing structure to new absolutes. The chassis is hung on a floating seismic platform of four-point spring suspension. The chassis utilizes a one-piece milled solid aluminum sub-assembly as the foundation. It is so effective that the platter, motor and arm block are mounted directly on the suspended sub-chassis. This provides an unvarying geometry between the motor and the turntable. The dampened sub-chassis and multi-layered platter isolate the arm and record surface from motor vibrations.
Turntables must control every issue that affects performance in order to faithfully reproduce what’s on the record. The basic goal, maximum information retrieval, is one of controlling microscopic vibrations – a task that requires the utmost in engineering precision and comprehensive design.
All SOTA precision tables accomplish the challenging task of controlling the forces within and from without the turntable such as vinyl resonance, acoustic vibration (from speakers) to impure power source thus allowing your tonearm/cartridge combination to achieve their maximum level of performance.
- Rumble less than -60db unweighted (10cm/sec @ 1000Hz)
- Wow & Flutterless than .04% RMS
- Suspension: tuned 4-point stretched-spring sub-chassis, 2.55 Hz frequency – never goes out of balance
- Platter: individually balanced 12 lb one-piece cast platter with internal damping, lead flywheel ring, SOTA Vinyl Format Platter Mat, molded silicone vacuum lip and anti-static Groove Damper Mat
- Vacuum System: electronic-sensing, provides LP clamping vacuum pressure of 3.0 Hg. +/- 0.2 Hg
- Bearing Shaft: hardened steel, hand matched to sintered bronze sleeves
- Motor: 24 Pole A/C Stepper Motor
- Bearing:thrust pad; polished sapphire disc; thrust point: zirconium ball
- Speeds: 33-1/3 and 45 RPM, electronically switchable with pitch control
- Weight: 44 lb (20 kg) turntable only; 20 lb (9 kg) pump and motor unit
- Dimensions: 7-1/2″ H (to top of dust cover), 20-1/4″ W, 16-1/2″ D