The VPI Prime Turntable – the affordable, Super Table!
“The dynamic presentation, powerful bass and extended, clear treble produce very enjoyable listening sessions with remarkable see-through connection to the music. Notice that I did not write “at this price”. The VPI Prime is a turntable that looks great, has some very effective technology, and is a well-executed design that simply sounds very good. Very good, indeed.” – 10Audio.com (read the review)
“It’s not even funny how f***ing incredible this 3D arm is.” – Joey Weiss, Harry Pearon’s Apprentice
VPI Prime Turntable
The past 3 years VPI has been focusing mainly on new/entry level audiophiles and getting them to embrace vinyl for the first time. With the VPI Prime Turntable, they wanted to get back to their roots and focus on the existing audience with a table that offers quality hi-end sound while taking advantage of our improvements in technology. Also, it was important to show the industry that they will still be making new turntable and designs whether Harry is in the factory or poolside! The Prime is Mat Weisfeld’s first solo design on a table with Harry’s approval as well as input from the rest of the VPI staff. The shape of the Prime is meant to have a curvier and sexy look compared to the “classic” look of our tables over the past 10 years. At same time having the footprint to accommodate the space needed for a 10 inch 3D arm. They were able to get the price lowerfor the 3D arm because of their improved technology and increased volume in printing and supply.
The VPI Prime Turntable package includes the following:
- 10 inch 3D arm
- VTA Tower for VTA/SRA on the fly
- Classic 20 pound platter and bearing
- Outboard 300 RPM motor housing
- New “Prime” feet which offer improved isolation and better mechanical grounding
- Stainless Steel/Delrin record clam
- The Prime is also being offered as a package with the SDS, Synchronous Drive System.
The VPI Prime Turntable:
- Chassis made of black textured vinyl over MDF with an 11 gauge steel plate bonded to the underside for the ultimate in resonance control and feedback rejection.
- Four solid Delrin corner assemblies designed for isolation and mechanical grounding!! A first.
- A 300 rpm 24 pole AC synchronous motor capable of high torque and quiet operation installed in a separate aluminum and steel machined assembly.
- Inverted bearing – hardened stainless steel shaft, 60 Rockwell chrome hardened ball, spinning in a phosphor bronze bushing and sitting on a PEEK thrust disc. The belt side load is placed at the center of the spinning bearing for zero teeter-tooter effects.
- 20 pound damped platter machined from 6061 aluminum to +/- .001” in a 39” circumference!!!
- Motor pulley has an accuracy of +/- .0005” when leaving factory.
- Wow and flutter: >.1%
- Speed Accuracy: >.03%
- Rumble: >85db down
- Pivot to spindle: 258mm
- Effective length: 273.4mm
- Overhang: 15.4mm
- Offset angle: 19.98 degrees
- Average RMS distortion: 0.311%
- Internal wiring: premium Discovery wire, optional Nordost Valhalla
- New design 3d printed one piece body for the ultimate in resonance control.
- Full length copper shielding tube internally
- Adjustable side weights for finer azimuth settings.
- Built in “Easy lift” finger lift.
- Offset stainless steel counterweight for stability
- Easy setting of VTA/SRA in thousandths of an inch, calibrated and repeatable
- Adjustable anti-skate.
- Periphery Ring clamp for the ultimate in record warp reduction
- HR-X Center Weight, perfectly complements the periphery clamp
- Synchronous Drive System (SDS) for the utmost accuracy in motor speed and fine speed adjustments.
- Single Motor Flywheel (must be used with SDS)